As myself and my eldest both suffer from food intolerances I do lots of label reading and mainly cooking from scratch. People often question how I find the time and inclination to do so much in the kitchen and offer sympathy, but it’s genuinely easy for me because I love doing it.
Cooking is one of my great passions in life, and if I get the opportunity to while away a couple of hours making food then I consider that to be a great day. I grew up on processed junk and poor quality take-aways so get great pleasure from knowing exactly what I am putting into my family’s bodies. It’s not all salads and stir frys though!
I have never been a very good pastry maker, so was delighted to discover that Jus-Rol ready made puff pastry does not contain any of our allergens. The ingredients list is short, free of e-numbers and the end product is tasty. We needed a decent snack for 4yo to take with her on after school club days, and sausage rolls are the perfect solution.
I couldn’t believe how easy they were to make, and they tasted much nicer than anything I’ve ever bought from the supermarket. My daughter loved helping to roll the pastry out, and got to use her prized baking set that she was given for her birthday which always brings a smile to her face. We all enjoyed eating them, and I’ve made three batches in the last month! Total success in my books!
Ingredients for 18 sausage rolls
250g block of ready roll puff pastry (gluten free would also work, check out Free From Fairy for Inspo)
18 chipolata sausages
1-2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp light olive oil
– preheat oven to 200C, grease a large baking tray with 1 tbsp olive oil
– cover your chopping board in a light smattering of flour
– chop the pastry into 18 equal pieces
– roll out a piece of pastry so it’s as long as the sausages and 3-4 times as wide
– place a sausage on the edge and wrap the pastry around
– repeat until baking tray is full
– brush lightly with the other tbsp of olive oil
– cook for 20 minutes and enjoy! They last for about three or four days in the fridge, and also freeze well.