These paleo nut free chocolate cupcakes are so moreish, but be warned, one is never enough! We made a wonderful group of friends when we did NCT classes during my first pregnancy. Six odd years (and twelve kids between us) later, those friendships are still going strong. We don’t get to see each other nearly as much as we used to, and certainly aren’t able to swan around having coffee all afternoon, but we still make the effort to meet up during the school holidays when we can.
I hosted a little festive tea party for four of the six families yesterday, and devised a new cupcake recipe to serve up. One of our friends and her daughter are both allergic to nuts, and as most of my go-to cakes contain them I always have to put my thinking cap on when catering for them. It’s a great opportunity to be creative.
What I came up with was, if I do say so myself, one of my best inventions yet! These cupcakes are super moist, suitably Christmassey from the cinnamon and not too sweet. Coconut flour based, sweetened with home made apple sauce and a small handful of dates, then drizzled with melted dark chocolate, these little babies were a massive win with both the kids and adults.
Ingredients for 12 paleo nut free chocolate cupcakes
100g bar of good quality dairy free dark chocolate
4 free range eggs
1 cup home made apple sauce
1 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa or cacao
1/4 cup coconut oil
tsp bicarbonate of soda
– preheat the oven to 160C and line a muffin tin with cases, or grease it with a little extra coconut oil
– put the coconut flour into a large bowl
– put all the other ingredients into your blender or food processor, and whiz until it is thick shake consistency
– pour the liquid ingredients all over the coconut flour, and combine well with a spoon
– divide the mixture between the cases or muffin holes
– bake in the oven for 20 minutes
– while the cakes are baking melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl
– after removing the cakes from the oven, allow to cool then drizzle over the melted chocolate
– place on a cake stand and enjoy 🙂