For a coffee lover like me there is something magical about pumpkin spiced latte. One sip and I’m fully immersed in all things crunchy leaves, bonfires and looking forward to the C word (see what I did there?) As it’s the first day of autumn, I though it was pretty fitting to share my refined sugar free, dairy free pumpkin spiced latte recipe.
It probably won’t come as a surprise to learn that I usually avoid Starbucks like the plague. Last year, after seeing pumpkin spiced latte advertised all over their windows, I was lured into one and couldn’t resist – those coffee shops smell so damn good. I kicked myself shortly after taking my first sip though, because it was essentially just a sickly sweet syrupy coffee that had a vague taste of cinnamon about it.
Not good for a sugar avoider such as myself. I had four or five mouthfuls and chucked the rest away, feeling very disappointed. I bought a pumpkin that very afternoon, and set to work creating my own puree, so I had it to hand when I next fancied a pumpkin spiced latte. I hope you enjoy it as much I do.
Ingredients for the pumpkin spiced puree
Small pumpkin (about 1.5kg in weight)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 tbsp cinnamon
1-2 tbsp Chinese five spice
honey/maple syrup to taste if you need the sweetness
1. Take a small pumpkin (approx 1.5kg) and slice into 12 pieces. Scrape out the seeds with a desert spoon and discard. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over 2 tbsp coconut oil and roast in a preheated oven (175C) for 45 mins.
2. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down. Meanwhile get your other ingredients ready, as per above list.
3. Once the pumpkin is cool, peel if you wish, or leave the skin on (I always peel if it’s not organic). Then place it into your blender or food processor, and add your spices, honey and coconut oil, and whiz up to a puree. This will keep in a glass jar in your fridge for a few weeks.
4. When you’re ready to make your drink, simply pour a freshly brewed black coffee into your blender/food processor, add 2 tbsp of pumpkin puree and 2 tbsp coconut oil (and sweeten to taste if needs be). Whiz on high and blend for the perfect dairy free pumpkin spiced latte.
5. Drink immediately for autumnal coffee heaven.