Today is my 38th Birthday, so I’d like to share with you 38 things that I’ve learnt on my journey so far
1. Above all else, know yourself, and always be true to who you are at your core. Integrity is everything, and will help you sleep easy at night.
2. Honesty is the best policy, never be afraid to put your hand up and admit that you were at fault.
3. You can’t argue with, or rewrite history, but you can do everything in your power to create a brighter future.
4. You won’t win a fight by getting angry. Calmness is key to problem solving.
5. To prolong a suntan, moisturise twice a day.
6. The world is a friendlier place at five or six in the morning after your first cup of coffee.
7. Eating clean is a form of self respect, people who make fun of the term simply don’t understand it.
8. To eat clean without it bankrupting you, it is absolutely essential to find a way of making the very best quality food accessible.
9. Cooking a meal from scratch (especially for guests) will always feel like an achievement.
10. Growing your own food even more so, but it takes time, patience and a willingness to follow instructions (the latter is not my strongest trait).
11. It’s better to do five or ten minutes of exercise every day, than say you’ll spend hours per week at the gym, but never making it there.
12. Running is great in perfect conditions, or with friends, or as a head clearer, but Unless you’re a natural runner, it will feel like torture.
13. Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
14. Unless you’ve behaved in an appalling way, and only you will know that, other people’s mean-ness is them projecting their own hurt and little or nothing to do with you.
15. Never go to sleep on a fight, it’ll give you nightmares.
16. Wasting time on people who don’t appreciate you will make you feel like crap. Beware the fair weather friends who only chat small talk.
17. However, it’s good to remember that people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. There is a deeper meaning to everything, and everyone we cross paths with has a purpose.
18. You cannot change another persons behaviour, but you can control the way you react to it, which in turn will help control its effect over you.
19. The only way to have a small influence over rubbish behaviour from another person is to kill it with kindness (the behaviour, not the person, obvs).
20. Travelling while you’re young will provide memories forever.
21. Sometimes the only option is to walk away, but good eggs will find a route back to each other.
22. Saying no is a great skill to learn.
23. As is properly distinguishing between your wants and your needs.
24. Buying clothes and household goods second hand is not only kind to the bank balance, but easy on the environment.
25. To combat sleep deprivation, go to bed as early as you possibly can and take the Zzzzz’s where you can.
26. When the chips are down, Instagram is not your friend. However, a Facebook group hug of proper old mates will do more to pull you out of a deep dark hole than a lot of other things.
27. Don’t fall foul to FOMO, the grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.
28. Not doing something you love, every single day, will start to chip away at your soul.
29. Tapping into your creative side will make your heart sing.
30. It is possible to write a book amid a super hectic life, you just need to form a solid writing habit.
31. If it’s important you’ll find the time, if it’s not, you’ll find an excuse.
32. Sometimes it’s best all round if you zip your lips and throw the key away.
33. There is no shame in taking an extra long loo break with your phone for ten or fifteen minutes whilst hiding from your children. How do you think I’m writing this?
34. No matter how much you love your kids, time out from them is the only way to recharge your batteries.
35. It will pass, no matter how raw or painful it is right now.
36. Laughter is always, always, the best medicine.
37. Some days are best written off with a large glass of vino.
38. Other days you’ll swallow down all the unpalatable memories, put on your brave face and happy pants/knickers, and conquer the world.